Question for LOTR fans (mostly it's about the elves)
Having recently returned from New Zealand, I did an LOTR marathon that kept me up WAY INTO THE NIGHT.
These films are fantastic, and I appreciated them even more after visiting NZ and the Weta Cave in Wellington.
But I've always been confused about some of the elf stuff. For example:
1) Why doesn't Elrond show up to help with the battles at Helm's Deep or Gondor?
2) Why does Elrond and his gang live in Rivendell while Galadriel's gang lives in the trees?
3) Why are Elrond and Arwen the only brunettes?
4) What is the Evenstar, and how does it tie Arwen's fate to that of the ring? And why does she have to "become mortal" if she were to stay with Aragorn?
5) If elves are immortal, why do so many of them take the boat across the river, or something like that?
Not that I want these movies to be any longer, but I am curious about these things, especially why Elrond doesn't fight and why Arwen is dying.