A well-known brand of razors for both men and women, Gillette, has been making people happy and hair free since 1895 when King Camp Gillette founded the original Gillette Company. When the Gillette Company first opened its doors, they were a company that manufactured safety razors and other products specializing in personal hygiene. Since that day, the Gillette Company has changed its name, been acquired by Proctor & Gamble and later dissolved completely and the company’s products divided into smaller units of P&G.
Gillette Product History
The Gillette Company has a vast history of producing shaving razors of various types. The timeline outlining some of the various razors from Gillette, the improvements and year of release or discontinuation starts in 1902 and has not ended to date, since new razors or improvements on older models are released almost once a year.
In 1902, the Gillette Company released the first safety razor, which continued to sell until 1932 with various improvements. The Gillette Company filed for a logo and razor trademark in 1908, when King Gillette sought protection for his hygiene products and the Gillette name, which was the “Gillette Safety Razor Company” at the time, even though they sold soap, shaving brushes and other items. From that year until the present, Gillette has released almost 30 different razors, not including all of the improvements made upon the existing models.
Some of the most notable models of Gillette razors include:
- The Aristocrat in 1932: Used the “twist to open” blade technology, allowing the user to change the razor’s closeness; the “Super Speed,” also in 1932, which used the same technology
- The Trac II and Trac II Plus: These were introduced as the first razors with two blades and the Plus as having a lubricating strip in 1971.
- 1976 released the Good News! first ever disposable razor and it came in three versions; original, Plus (with lubrication) and Plus Pivot.
- The Atra, was introduced as the first razor to pivot its head for closeness.
- The Sensor line including Sensor Excel and Gillette Sensor for Women, began in 1990 and was the first spring-loaded blade that contoured to the shape of the face. Gillette’s Sensor3 came in 1998, right after the introduction to the Gillette Mach 3. 2006 began the Fusion line of razors and they all have five blades including the Fusion Power and in 2007, the Fusion Power Phantom and Stealth (UK). 2008 brought the Fusion Power Phenom and the newest, released June 2010 is the Fusion ProGlide, which has thinner blades than the Fusion original.
The Gillette Mach 3
1998 brought the Mach 3, the first ever razor with three blades. The Mach 3 continues to be the most popular of all the Gillette razors, even though there are newer and better ones available for purchase. Additionally, the Mach 3 is one of the most popular men’s razors in the world today. The Venus razors are the female versions of the Mach 3 and are one of the most popular of all female razors. The versions of the Mach 3 available include:
- Gillette Mach 3 original three blade razor
- Gillette Mach 3 Disposable, same design as original
- Mach 3 Turbo 10 microfins as opposed to five on the original design
- Mach 3 Turbo Champion, with a different handle design than Turbo
- M3Power, battery powered
- The Mach 3 Power Nitro; same as original Power but with different handle
The Gillette claim is that the extra blades help reduce irritation because the shaver would need fewer strokes to achieve the desired results. The microfins and a lubricating strip also help achieve this goal and the strip changes color to alert the user he needs a new blade. The disposable version was released shortly after the original.
Gillette Special Savings & Promotions
Almost every Sunday newspaper in the US contains a special pullout section containing coupons. Gillette and P&G are famous for advertising with BOGO coupons in which a consumer can buy one product and receive another free. Additionally, other such discounted savings coupons are available as well in which the consumer can save one or two dollars off a purchase of Gillette razors, especially the Mach 3. Consumers can also look in stores that sell Gillette products for Gillette Mach 3 coupons on the packages and within the in-store circulars. Gillette has been known to offer various coupons and other promotions in this manner.
The Gillette website offers various promotional discounts as ell. A consumer simply has to go to the website and register. They will receive coupons in their email, or in the US mail if they cannot be printed out. The advantage to signing up on the website is that the consumer will have access to products and promotions up to two or three months earlier than other consumers do. Additionally, Gillette’s Mach 3 brand runs various sweepstakes in which the consumer enters and can win any one of numerous prices consisting of either cash or products.
The Text to Win program, offered on the Gillette M3 website located at Gillette.com currently has a special promotion in which a consumer can text the word “Gillette” to the text code number 639666 and win a razor. One razor is given away everyday until August 21 2010. Additionally, because Gillette is owned by P&G, consumers can sign up for a Brand Sampler, from which they can receive a coupon booklet that includes discount coupons for Gillette products in addition to other P&G products.
Free Gillette Mach 3 Samples
Sometimes it is also possible to receive free samples of the razors themselves, or one of the blades in a free trial promotion. While these types of free trial promotions are rare, they do happen. More abundant are the Gillette Mach 3 coupons for free blades or free razors, These are given away more frequently by Gillette or P&G. Additionally, other online websites offer various discounts on Gillette Mach 3 such as a five dollar discount on refill blades or five dollars off a razor package. These types of deals can be found on websites such as Alibaba.com and Walmart.com, just to name a few.
Overall, Gillette Mach 3 coupons are not difficult to come by, it is just a matter of waiting for the right ones. Since the razor itself is one of the more expensive ones to purchase, Gillette Mach 3 coupons are almost a necessity just to continue using the Gillette Mach 3 blade refills and the razor.