Tide, a laundry detergent manufactured by Procter & Gamble, is one of the most popular detergents in the United States and Canada. Smart shoppers can find great deals on Tide if they know where to look.
In the 1920s, the only option consumers had for washing their clothes was a product called “soap flakes.” These soap flakes did not perform optimally, especially in hard water: they left rings in washing machines, caused colors on clothes to fade, and turned whites gray. Researchers developed a replacement detergent, which consisted of a double-action cleaner. One of the ingredients removed grease from cloth, and the other suspended dirt until it could be rinsed away. The first such product, Dreft, did an acceptable job on lightly soiled clothing, but developers wanted a product that could handle heavily soiled clothes. Tide was that product.
After its invention in 1943, Tide was first shared with test markets in 1946, and nationally distributed by 1949. It was instantly popular, but its manufacturers did not settle. Procter & Gamble continues to test Tide to be sure that it works effectively in many different types of water.
In addition to the many changes in Tide’s formula over the years, Tide’s image has also undergone changes. The iconic bullseye logo, deigned by Donald Deskey, incorporated a combination of bold orange and yellow with blue, which conveyed trustworthiness. While the logo has undergone minor changes, the detergent’s name changed briefly in the 1960s to Tide XK. It was soon changed back to Tide. For the product’s fiftieth anniversary, the logo underwent a minor redesign, but kept the distinctive colors and overall look. The original liquid was an orange color, but now all Tide liquids are blue, except for the Tide Free line, which is clear.
Tide encourages consumers to participate in the Tide Loads of Hope program, in which $1 is donated to disaster relief for every yellow bottled cap that is purchased and registered. Alternately, consumers may support the program by purchasing vintage style t-shirts directly from Tide. The program provides laundry facilities in the wake of disasters.
Tide has been popular since its creation, but today there are a variety of Tide branded products to choose from.
Traditional Powdered Detergents
* Tide Powder Detergent
* Tide with Bleach Powder Detergent
* Tide Coldwater Powder Detergent
* Tide with Dawn Stainscrubbers Powder Detergent
* Tide with Febreze Freshness Powder Detergent
* Tide Free & Gentle Powder Laundry Detergent
* Tide with a Touch of Downy Powder Detergent
High Efficiency Powdered Detergents
* Tide HE Powder
* Tide HE with a Touch of Downy Powder Detergent
Traditional Liquid Detergents
* Tide Original Liquid Laundry Detergent
* Tide Free for Coldwater Liquid Laundry Detergent
* Tide plus Febreze Freshness™ Sport Liquid Laundry Detergent
* Tide with Bleach Alternative Liquid Laundry Detergent
* Tide Coldwater Liquid Laundry Detergent
* Tide with Dawn Stainscrubbers Liquid Laundry Detergent
* Tide plus Febreze Freshness™ Liquid Laundry Detergent
* Tide Free & Gentle Liquid Laundry Detergent
* Tide Pure Essentials Baking Soda Liquid Laundry Detergent
* Tide Totalcare Liquid Laundry Detergent
* Tide with a Touch of Downy Liquid Laundry Detergent
High Efficiency Liquid Detergents
* Tide HE Liquid Laundry Detergent
* Tide Free for Coldwater HE Liquid Laundry Detergent
* Tide HE with Bleach Alternative Liquid Laundry Detergent
* Tide Coldwater HE Liquid Laundry Detergent
* Tide HE with Febreze Freshness Liquid Laundry Detergent
* Tide HE Free & Gentle Liquid Laundry Detergent
* Tide Totalcare HE Liquid Laundry Detergent
* Tide HE with a Touch of Downy Liquid Laundry Detergent
* Tide Stain Release
* Tide To Go Instant Stain Remover
* Tide Washing Machine Cleaner
* Swash Fresh It Up
* Swash Get It Out
* Swash Smooth It Out
* Swash Steam It Out
* Tide High Performance Wash Bag
* Tide Smart Wash BraBaby
* Tide BraBag
* Tide Smart Clip Clothespin
* Tide Smart Design Deluxe Hanger
* Tide High Performance Lint Roller
* Tide Pop Up Hamper
* Tide Simple Pleasures Scented Hanger Pendants
* Tide Smart Design Space Fresheners
In the past, Tide’s marketing campaigns focused on Tide’s superior cleaning ability. Slogans have included:
* “Dirt can’t hide from intensified Tide,”
* “If it’s got to be clean, it’s got to be Tide”
* “Tide’s in, dirt’s out.”
Recently, however, Tide has taken a new approach, focusing more on how Tide can help keep clothes in good shape. This is the result of the need to make Tide seem like an economical choice in comparison to its less expensive shelfmates. The goal of the new campaign is to highlight that, in the long run, Tide will save money by saving clothes:
* “Style is an option. Clean is not.”
* “100 ways to wear a T-shirt. 1 detergent to help keep it white.”
* “You make it work. We’ll keep it clean.
By comparison, the theme of the new campaign is “Style is an option. Clean is not.” The focus is on how Tide enables its loyal users to dress for success, to impress or just for fun.
Tide Coupons, Discounts, Rebates, and Rewards
Consumers can find ways to make purchasing Tide more economical. Online, the official Tide website (http://www.tide.com) includes a tab titled Special Offers, which leads to access for a variety of coupons for different Tide products. A sign-up form is available on the same site for a newsletter that sends coupons and special offers directly to a customer’s inbox.
Other websites, like http://www.pgeverydaysolutions.com, also offer access to Tide coupons fairly reliably. You can even find Tide coupons on Ebay. General coupon sites often lead back to the official Tide or P&G Brandsaver site since they offer frequent coupons.
Offline, the Sunday coupons are a perfect place to look for Tide coupons. Consider combining these coupons with the deals available in weekly grocery ads to get a fantastic price on Tide products. Alternately, consider looking at the store for in-store coupons, which can provide excellent discounts on Tide products.